The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth can ever be. - Konrad Lorenz

God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.
Billy Graham

“Until one has loved an animal a part of one’s soul remains unawakened” - Anatole France

Monday, January 11, 2010

R.I.P. DEXTER

I am not good at putting pen to paper, but, I have so many thoughts and memories about Dexter that I would like to share. This will be one of the hardest things I will have to do. My heart is broken.

Dexter was only about 5 weeks old when he came into my life. He was a gift from someone. He was so tiny he could fit in the palm of one hand. He was perfect. He was so playful. He loved to play with his stuffed toys and loved to chase balls. I would take him everywhere with me. I would even sneak him into stores. He loved to sit around my neck whether I was driving or sitting on the couch. He once got so tangled up in my hair while we were asleep that I had to shake him out. He always greeted me at the door when I came home from work. He loved to lay across my stomach and chest and fall asleep. He has been with me through so much in my life. He even moved to Turkey with me. I didn't have kids but he, quickly, became that for me. I love him so much. It didn't matter if I were skinny or fat, ugly or pretty, young or old...and I was all that at some point.... he loved me all the same.

As he grew older, not much changed. He still loved to sit around my neck while sitting on the couch. He still loved his treats. The toys, well, they became "juvenile". "That's for young pups he said". He loved exploring new places whether it was the back yard or a new park.

I was lucky with Dexter. He was always healthy except for a couple of incidents. At the end it just seems like it came on so quick. He had a birthday, two days later he was hospitalized, two days after that he passed away. The doctor called us in on that last day to talk to us about euthanasia. Something I have tried to prepare myself for from time to time. Hoping that day would never come.... but here it is. We went to visit Dexter to make our decision and while petting his head and whispering to him that we love him he turned his head to look at me and passed away. It's almost like he waited for me to come.

I just love him so much and will miss him forever. He was everything to me. I have so many memories of him that I will never forget and will always cherish.
DEXTER McGILLICUDDY
JANUARY 7, 1995 - JANUARY 11, 2010
15 YRS. AND 4 DAYS OLD

No comments: